Saturday, June 19, 2010

Each Day is a Gift and Not a Given Right. R.I.P

God I havn't blogged in soo longg. Probably since like 6th grade when everyone had an xanga. Hopefully I can actually keep up with this one. I'm not really sure why I'm starting a blog, but I've been thinking about it lately and decided it's something I wanted to do. Soo here we have the outcome: my new blogg.

So all day I've been either messing around (like I'm doing now), or helping my mom. It's been almost a year since her mom, my nani, passed away due to cancer. So she and her brother and sister in atlanta are all getting together and cooking a bunch. It's crazy to think how much things have changed. Last year we made so many frequent trips to New York to visit and help outt, all trying our best to be supportive and helpful. I think one of the hardest things I've experienced is just watching all my family members just break down and not being able to do anything about it. Everyone dealt differently. Some would burst out in tears, while other softly sobbed. There was, however, nothing anyone could do to help. That's the problem with cancer: it hurts so bad, effects so many, yet no one can fix it. All one could do is stand around and be helpless. It was tough getting through it; Tough watching the soul who I once knew was so happy and down to earth, the person who lived with me in my childhood and watched me grow, the person who taught me so much, the person who's food I adored, just crumble in pain until leaving altogether. Watching her was just as tough though. Not being able to eat, or walk on her own, or even use the bathroom. So atleast leaving got her out of misery.

It makes me happy to think that her last few breaths went positive though. No one expected her to go that day. It was simply another day in the hospital. It was my mom's turn to be with her that evening, so she was at the hospital watching over her. Later, my mom's other four sibblings stopped by to drop something off, and left. Then my grandpa, my nana, come by. She watched him leave, and then slowly fell a sleep. A few moments later, a nurse came in for a check up, and said that she was gone. She just slowly drifted away, just like that. No words, no pain. My mom says it was crazy because she was sitting right there and didn't notice. That's how peaceful it was. The last thing she saw was my nana. The guy who had been so supportive through it all. Always tending to her needs and showing the utmost compassion. The man she loved. Before passing away, she also saw all of her children. It was only the second day in which everyone all the sibblings were there. What are the odds that all 5, 3 of which live in a different state and 1 in a different country, just happen to be together on that night? It was peaceful, and I believe she left feeling satisfied. Even a year later, she is still in our thoughts. Rest In Peace Nani. We love you.

Who would've known something like that would happen? The reality is, it could happen to anyone. So don't waste your life. Do something with it, put it to good use. Most people take life for granted. But the reality is, you never know what could happen tomorrow. I'd like to finish off with a quote: "Each day's a gift and not a given right. leave no stone unturned leave your fears behind, and take the path less traveled by... if today was your last day and tomorrow was too late could you say goodbye to yesterday? Would you live each moment like your last, leave old pictures in the past, donate every time you had? And would you call those friends you never see, reminisce on memories? would you forgive your enemies? Every second counts cause there's no second try, So live like you're never living twice. Don't take the free ride in your own life." -Nickleback

4 comments:

  1. :'(((( omg..i never knew! i had no clue you went through something soo tough and painful, and it's amazing to me that you can post raw feelings like that out there for the world to see...and it's almost inspiring and motivating...i just need you to know that your blog is amazing and you are as well! for doing something so brave and strong
    <3 your boo(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Amanda! You're the bestt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was touching, Sehar and I can most definitely relate. I appreciate that you never stop smiling, but that might just be because I make it my job to be sure that you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha yeah JJ being around is definitely a smile only zone :)

    ReplyDelete